As CNC Routers become more popular the software naturally becomes more advanced and easier to operate. This latest version of the CNC Shark from Rockler, the Black Diamond Edition 44566 ($3999, Rockler) features Virtual Zero software along with the included touch plate which maps the workpiece. This should solve several potential issues those with little experience operating a CNC might run into.
These smaller CNC units are becoming more and more common place. With the sad disappearance of wood shops in public high schools we very happy are seeing a new trend in of high school students becoming involved in First Robotics competitions and learning how to use these machines at a very early age. For those of us who graduated before email was common place, we missed out on the opportunity to turn 3D computer designed objects into hard parts. Good news is however those of any age that are interested to learn more about these kinds of tools before investing the $4k, can probably find a class at your local Maker Space. Here in Columbus we have the Idea Foundry which we are proud members of and whom offer monthly intro to CNC classes as well as intro to laser cutting.
While the CNC Shark does include software it can also be used with many other common platforms of 2D & 3D software if you’ve already began to learn a different platform. Another great resource for Q&A for all the Shark CNC machines is the forum CNCSharkTalk.com. For more information on the Black Diamond CNC Shark check out the Rockler press release below.
MEDINA, MN – Rockler Woodworking and Hardware has introduced the CNC Shark Black Diamond, a limited-edition CNC routing system that features ground-breaking Virtual Zero software that, together with the included touch plate, “maps” the surface of your table or workpiece, using the map as a dynamic reference point. This eliminates problems such as uneven relief cutting that are caused by warped boards or inconsistencies in the table, which often occur when clamping pressure is applied. It also opens up untold creative potential when working with three-dimensional workpieces.
“The CNC Shark Black Diamond introduces endless project possibilities,” says Scott Ekman, Rockler’s Vice President of Marketing. “The added zeroing capability compensates for any imperfections in the table or the workpiece, so the results are more precise than ever.”
The CNC Shark Black Diamond is built to handle large routers with up to 2-1/4 HP, which increases the cutting production and capability of the machine. To accommodate the greater torque levels, it features adjustable bearings to give more stability during heavy cutting. With a work table measuring 28-1/2″ x 36″, it is ideally suited for carvings and machining operations on a large variety of signs, doors and other projects made from wood, soft metals or plastics. Its aluminum and high-density polyethylene construction is designed to support frequent and prolonged use.
The CNC Shark Black Diamond Package (44566) includes a free $50 Rockler Gift Card and Accessory Kit (CNC Touch Plate and 5-Piece Bit Set). The whole package retails for $3,999.99 and can be purchased at Rockler Woodworking and Hardware stores nationwide, Rockler independent resellers, Rockler.com, or from the Rockler catalog. For store locations or a free catalog, please visit www.rockler.com or call 1-877-ROCKLER.
More Product Info
The CNC Shark Black Diamond Edition features ground-breaking Virtual Zero software (available Mid-October) that, together with the included touch plate, “maps” the surface of your table or workpiece, using the map as a dynamic reference point. This eliminates problems caused by warped boards, or inconsistencies in the table, which often occur when clamping pressure is applied. It also opens up untold creative potential when working with 3-dimensional workpieces.
The Black Diamond is also built to handle larger sized routers such as the Porter Cable 890 series. To accommodate the greater torque levels, it features adjustable bearings to give more stability during heavy cutting. With a table measuring 28-1/2″ x 36″, it is ideally suited for carvings and machining operations on a large variety of signs, doors and other projects made from wood, soft metals or plastics. It boasts impressive power, speed, accuracy, and ease of use. Its aluminum and high- density polyethylene construction is designed for heavy use.
Requires a PC computer with a USB 2.0 port and any of the routers listed below. Just connect the USB cable to the controller box and load the software. Includes V-Carve 7.0 software. Made in the U.S.A. Rockler is the exclusive distributor of this item in the United States.
The CNC Shark Black Diamond Edition is fully compatible with the following routers (sold separately):
- Bosch 1617 and 1618
- Porter Cable 890 series
- Porter Cable 690 series (6902VS must be manually started)
- Dewalt 610, 616, 618
- Enhanced electronics for smooth movement.
- Enhanced adjustable bearings to give more stability during heavy cutting.
- Gantry has been redesigned for enhanced physics to ensure more consistent machining results.
- Reinforced to handle up to 2.25 hp router.
- X and Y axis have supported linear guides.
- Z travel up to 7 inches max.
- Stronger Drive system then Plus systems.
- Increased travel on the machine with a max cutting capacity of 25 x 25 x 7 inches.
- Automatic on and off software control of Router.
- Professional Aluminum case with Push button Estop.
- Pendant control capability included (Designed for numeric laptop keypad).
- Extended Aluminum T slot top (28-1/2″ x 36″) for more versatile clamping.
- Precision lead Screws with anti backlash on all axis.
- Also includes: 1/2″ dia. V-groove Bit and two hold- down clamps!
- Bearings: precision linear bearing guides for maximum rigidity.
- USB interface with on controller memory storage.
- Precision modified stainless leadscrews with backlash reducing nuts on all axes.
- VCarve Pro 7.0 software program included.
- Compatible with CNC Shark® Touch Probe (Sold Separately).
- Includes 1/2″ Dia. V-Groove.
- Includes two Hold-down Clamps.
- Mount for Router included (Router sold separately).
- One year warranty on parts and labor, special shipping exclusions apply.
- Download free project plans from Vectric
- Made in the USA
What’s in the Box?
(1) CNC Shark Black Diamond HD Limited Edition
(1) $50 Rockler Gift Card
(1) CNC Shark Touch Plate (43803)
(1) Rockler 5-Piece CNC Router Bit Set (44911)
(1) One 1/2″ Dia. V-Groove Bit
(1) Two Hold-down Clamps
(1) Router mount (see the Overview tab for compatible routers)